After being mesmerized by these crisp shots of the “Doernbecher” Air Jordan 5, #TeamKoF welcomed known sneaker photographer Gilbert Ortiz to the family. The shoe was designed by the late Isaac Arzate and his family, who helped finish the design that the talented teenager started back in early 2012. Here’s what Nike had to say about the design:
Using Isaac’s original sketches as a guide and some more his parents found, they created a design reflecting Isaac’s vision and incorporating design elements that represented the things that mattered most to him in his life:
- Isaac’s jersey numbers, 9 for baseball on the upper of the left shoe and 31 for basketball on the right.
- The inside of the tongue features Isaac’s initials, and the dates of his birth and passing.
- Several parts of the shoe glow in the dark, including the eyelets, lace toggle, outsole, Nike Air unit and quarter panels.
- The upper features the words of a poem in black light ink that Isaac wrote just a day before he passed away. Some of the words include: “My team. My family. We are brothers forever. No matter what.”
- Each pair includes a flashlight to complete the glow-in-the-dark effect, inspired by Isaac’s love of video games.
Photo credit: Gilbert Ortiz